Low Back Pain Package
Do you have chronic low back pain? Learn more about yoga therapy for low back pain below.
How can yoga help low back pain?
Back pain is nuanced – it can come and go, it can “flare up” for seemingly no reason, or it’s a constant ache that never seems to go away.
Yoga therapy for low back pain can help by:
- encouraging balance in the muscles that support the spine
- Use postures that strengthen weak muscles and stretch tight muscles, not only in the back but in the entire core body including the hips.
- Postures can also affect change in fascial structures (connective tissues).
- teaching body awareness so that you can better recognize any movements that aggravate pain
- Yoga postures typically work across the entire body which can help reinforce the brain-body connection, resulting in a more embodied experience and a better awareness of potential pain triggers.
- More body awareness can help you become aware of your body’s habitual holding patterns that might be aggravaing painful conditions.
- and teaching breathing techniques that encourage relaxation.
- The breath is connected to the nervous system, and practicing controlled breathing like yogic pranayama techniques can encourage systemic relaxation and impact the brain’s perception of pain.
Who is the Low Back Pain Package for?
This package is for you if you are interested in yoga therapy, have chronic back pain, and have one or more of the following diagnoses:
- herniated disc
- bulging disc
- spinal stenosis
- spinal arthritis
- non-specific low back pain
- S.I. (sacroiliac) join instability or dysfunction
What is included in the Low Back Pain Package?
The package is a 6-month commitment and includes 9 sessions:
- Intake session where we discuss your symptoms, your diagnosis, and any treatments that you have tried or are currently using
- 6 bi-weekly sessions where you learn physical postures and breathing exercises, with homework to practice in between sessions
- 2 monthly follow-up sessions where we check in and modify practices if needed
- Access to video practices so that you can practice on your own with confidence
The package price is $765 and expires 6 months after purchase.
What can I expect from yoga therapy?
Yoga therapy requires an initial consultation and follow-up sessions. It also requires you to do the practices. Much of the work happens outside of sessions. If you are not ready to commit to the time it takes to practice and learn the techniques then yoga therapy is not the modality for you.
The intake session is up to 90 minutes in duration. This gives time to have a discussion with Sara and for you to share your goals and the specifics of your health condition. Sara develops a plan for you for the next session. During follow-up sessions, Sara will share practices and check in with you to see if any modifications need to be made.
If at any time Sara feels that yoga therapy is not a good fit, she will refer out to other practitioners or medical professionals.
Click here to learn more about yoga therapy in general.